[amayausers.com] Re: Getting organized

  • From: theboards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 08:47:53 UT

This message was posted by The Embroidery Authority on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE
DO NOT REPLY VIA EMAIL. Instead, respond to the thread on the WEBSITE by
clicking here:
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/10/78.html#000001

Wow, Randi,
I hope everyone is busy these days as I see no one responded to your email....
I, personally, frequent many embroidery shops servicing machines and training
so my thougths are a combination of that experience along with my own
experience in my shop.
Keep your sales/office area separate from your production area.  Your
sales/office area should be available to accept walk in customers (or not) and
should not be interupted by loud machines when speaking on the phone.  Keep
your paper work/order forms and catalogs organized and to a minimum but keep
them in a place where you will know where they are when you need them in a
hurry when you get that unexpected call for an order.
Your production department can be broken down into separate areas.  Orders to
be done need to be stored in an organized manner until ready to be sewn.  I
like the first in - first out method.  Then you will want a hooping table with
possibly a sheet of peg-board nearby so you can hang up all of your hoops and
the like.  Next will be the table for your Computer which is right next to your
machine(s).  Following that is the next area which is designed for "clean up"
or "trimming" where you remove stray threads, cut/tear away backings, remove
hoop burns, iron/steam wrinkles, inspect final work, fold and package final
goods.  This table could be on the backside of the hooping table where you can
share the backside of the sheet of peg-board to hold scissors and such.
Finally, you will need an area to store orders ready to be picked up and/or
delivered.  Orders should be clearly marked so as not to get mixed up.
If you keep these areas separate, and happen to have some help from a family
member or friend, or you happen to bring on an employee, you are set up for
different people to handle different tasks and not find them bumping into each
other.  The "sewer" sews and the "trimmer" trims.
By all means, try to keep your shop clean as dust and lint will get all over
everything.  Have good ventilation and wipe down frequently.  If you use an air
compressor to blow the dust off, use it in conjunction with a vacuum cleaner
otherwise you're just moving your mess around.  Your machine will run better if
kept clean too.
Always try to be one step ahead of your business' growth spurts because if you
don't, it will have a negative affect on your overall business. We learned the
hard way our first Christmas season and MAN,.... we did things different the
second year.
Hope this helps,
Ed