[amayausers.com] Bleachable thread

  • From: "Bulkley Cleaners" <bulkley1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 08:39:46 -0800

Hi everyone.  I just had to reply to this one.

Polyester thread does not run. Polyester is synthetic, or plastic if you like. When polyester thread is being made, the color is added to the vat, the plastic is then extruded through holes, and made into thread. It can not run, and for the same reason it can not be dyed, because plastic does not absorb.

Rayon is a cellulose fibre, made from tree's, cellulose will absorb dye and therefore it will also lose dye. Cotton is the same, you can dye it and therefore it will also lose color.

The comment that drycleaning can be brutal on color is somewhat true, but only if the fabrics are a natural fibre and the dye used is of really poor quality.

So when picking thread and what type you are going to use, think about the base fibre, is it synthetic or natural, and choose accordingly. I operate a commercial uniform rental service and I use polyester thread on everything so that I am sure that there will not be any mishaps with dye runs on white cooks uniforms and I can safely bleach the heck out of it.

So a safe thing to do is use polyester on garments that are going to require frequent washings.

Terry Dancey
International Fabricare Institute, Certified Drycleaner. ===========================================================