[accmemberdiscussion] Rabies case (in dog) confirmed by Lee County HS

  • From: Theresa M Cook <southnmist@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ALPet-Law <alpet-law@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ACC <accmemberdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, GAPet-law <gapet-law@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 09:44:18 -0500

http://www2.oanow.com/oan/news/local/article/rabies_case_confirmed_by_lchs/96257/

http://tinyurl.com/yeqxr8k

Rabies case confirmed by LCHS
Brittany Whitley
Staff Writer
Published: September 29, 2009

A dog at the Lee County Humane Society has tested positive for rabies.
The case, confirmed on Friday, was brought to the attention of the LCHS staff
after an employee was bitten by the dog, said Heather Meadows, executive
director of the Lee County Humane Society.

The dog was in the adoption area of the Humane Society for a short period of
time, between Sept. 11 and Sept. 21, Meadows said. The LCHS is encouraging
anyone who thinks they may have been in contact with the small, black and tan,
young adult un-neutered male, which resembled Miniature Pincher with floppy
ears and a long tail, to see their doctor for further guidance.

“Our understanding from what we’ve been told is that the risk is minimal,”
Meadows said. “He was in the adoption area for a short period of time, we just
want to inform people and see if they recognize (him) as one that was handled.”

The LCHS has been in contact with the Lee County Health Department and the
Alabama Department of Public Health after receiving the test results, Meadows
said. Both agencies were provided with a list of contact information for
individuals who may have had contact with the dog. These individuals will be
contacted and directed to see their personal physician to determine their level
of exposure and possible need for treatment, she said.

According to information provided by the LCHS, rabies is a neurologic disease
caused by a virus. For transmission, saliva from an infected animal must enter
the body through a bite wound or through contact with a fresh, open wound, the
eyes or the mouth. Contact such as petting or handling an infected animal or
contact with blood, urine or feces from an infected animal, is not considered
exposure.

Infected animals develop neurologic symptoms and typically die within 10 days
of beginning to shed the virus. Additionally, the rabies virus cannot survive
outside the body.
“This incidence of rabies in our community serves as a reminder to all pet
owners of the importance of rabies vaccination in protecting the health of our
pets and ourselves,” Meadows said in a press release.

Theresa
RAOAL Responsible Animal Owners of Alabama
The video HSUS wants to hide!
~~~If you can't stand BEHIND our troops...feel free to stand in FRONT of
them!!! ~~~

Bing™  brings you maps, menus, and reviews organized in one place.   Try it now.