[accmemberdiscussion] From the HumaneWatch blog

  • From: Djsdosido@xxxxxxx
  • To: accmemberdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 11:52:56 EST

Nov 22  2010
_The  Nebraska Open Meeting that Wasn’t_
(http://humanewatch.org/index.php/site/post/the_nebraska_open_meeting_that_wasnt/)

Thursday morning on the HumaneWatch Facebook page, _Nebraska grass-fed beef
producer Kevin Fulton_
(http://www.kearneyhub.com/news/local/article_e5ac6c78-2307-11df-89dd-001cc4c002e0.html)
  did  something curious. Fulton, the
host of tonight’s Humane Society of the United  States “town hall” meeting in
Lincoln, assured all 194,000 HumaneWatch Facebook  fans that “everyone here
is invited" to the Nebraska event. "[Y]ou don’t have to  be from Nebraska.”

Did he lie? Was he overruled by Wayne Pacelle? We can’t be sure. But not
quite everyone was welcome.
 (http://humanewatch.org/images/uploads/Fulton-invitation.jpg)
On Thursday, our editor quickly took Fulton up on his offer and RSVPed for
the HSUS meeting. HSUS sent _a confirmation e-mail_
(http://humanewatch.org/images/uploads/Lincoln_RSVP.jpg)  too (click to
enlarge).
 (http://humanewatch.org/images/uploads/Lincoln_RSVP.jpg)
Our editor showed up personally in Lincoln, Nebraska yesterday with some
trepidation. He had never been to an HSUS-sponsored event before, and
HumaneWatch isn't exactly on Pacelle's Christmas card list. But _we do have a
billboard up_
(http://humanewatch.org/index.php/site/post/spreading_the_word_in_cornhusker_country/)
  just a few blocks from the  meeting site. And this
could be a great opportunity to meet Wayne Pacelle  face-to-face. Or at least
ask him _a few thoughtful questions_
(http://humanewatch.org/index.php/site/post/five_questions_for_wayne_pacelle/)
that have our readers  buzzing.
So much for that idea.
Greeting our editor at the ballroom door were three burly security  guards—
off-duty airport policemen armed with semiautomatic weapons and an
arms-crossed, “None shall pass” posture. He had his RSVP confirmation  e-mail
from
HSUS in hand. It didn’t matter.
Fulton himself appeared at the door moments later to smirk: “Ain’t no way
you’re getting in here.” And the door slammed behind him.
Shut Out
Fulton was right, of course. There was no way anyone from HumaneWatch was
getting in. We’ve put serious pressure on HSUS to tell the truth about its
goals  and its history, so keeping us out in the cold was Wayne Pacelle's way
of  controlling the proceedings and dodging tough questions. It also gave
him free  rein to lash out at HumaneWatch (and _our billboard_
(http://humanewatch.org/index.php/site/post/spreading_the_word_in_cornhusker_country/)
 )
at least a half-dozen times during his  presentation.
The hotel's Assistant Manager confirmed that HSUS had said anyone with a
valid RSVP would be allowed to attend. But he added: “Later, today, we heard
that there was a short list—5 or 6 people—who weren’t getting in no matter
what.  So far, you’re the only one of those who has shown up.”
So be it. But thanks to modern technology, we got regular text-messages and
 e-mails from inside. (Thanks to those of you who helped.)
Notes From the Non-Banned
We know that Wayne Pacelle commented on our Lincoln billboard, claiming
that  we’re giving out “false information,” and that HSUS has never claimed to
fund  pet shelters. Memo for Wayne: When _71 percent of the public thinks
that’s what you do_
(http://humanewatch.org/index.php/site/post/nationwide_poll_7_out_of_10_americans/)
 , and  _less than 1 percent of your money is
actually doing it_
(http://humanewatch.org/index.php/site/post/less_than_one-half_of_one_percent/)
,  there’s something horribly wrong.
By the way, Pacelle doesn’t know (or is ignoring) his own group’s history.
 HSUS _used to have a 60-40 fundraising split with pet  shelters_
(http://humanewatch.org/index.php/site/post/secret_hsus_history_the_60_40_split/)
  in
many states. HSUS kept the 40% share. Today it diverts  roughly 99% to
other animal-rights campaigns.
Pacelle also criticized the veterinary profession, claiming that they too
often represent “industry”—which is a little like saying you shouldn’t
trust doctors because some of their prescription pads have drug company logos
on  them.
He defended Californians’ decision to pass “Proposition 2” in 2008,
without  addressing the tremendous cost that legislation will add to the
typical
family’s  grocery bill. No mention of the cost of pork in Sweden, or the
price of eggs in  Germany and Austria, all nations that have adopted
HSUS-favored approaches.
Pacelle decried the loss of the “family farm”—as though any of HSUS's
vegan  leaders are more likely to eat or endorse free-range pork or cage-free
eggs. (We  all know they haven't.)
According to three meeting-goers we spoke with, Pacelle mostly preached to
the choir. One farmer on his way out described the scene as something “like
the  State of the Union Address, where only one side of the room claps at
the  applause lines.” Another chimed in: "If this guy is in charge of how we
farm and  who gets to do what, I may as well pack it in."
In the question-and-answer period, Pacelle largely read questions from
pre-written index cards, according to the same eyewitnesses, leaving little
time  for impromptu questions.
At least 40 people inside the meeting had copies of _the five questions we
suggested yesterday_
(http://humanewatch.org/index.php/site/post/five_questions_for_wayne_pacelle/)
. Not one was  permitted to ask them. Several said
later that their attempts to ask questions  were ignored.
Worth The Trip
Meeting the people of Lincoln was well worth the effort. With the exception
 of the HSUS personnel and their newest spokes-rancher, everyone was the
perfect  picture of politeness and warmth. (Even the armed guards were
friendly while  they did their job.)
Our editor gave _newspaper_
(http://journalstar.com/news/local/article_6ac0f804-ded2-5113-8497-9f745f8a6d4c.html)
  and _TV interviews_
(http://www.1011now.com/home/headlines/Group_Questions_Motive_of_National_Humane_Society_Pres
idents_Visit_to_Lincoln_109789904.html)  and passed out free HumaneWatch
swag—t-shirts, bumper stickers, and handouts as people arrived.
He also followed Wayne Pacelle and Paul Shapiro as they snuck out of the
hotel through a side entrance: “Would you like to explain why you excluded
HumaneWatch from your meeting with armed guards?” Pacelle had no answer.
(None  that we can print, anyway.)
Move Over Michael Vick (Wayne Has a New BFF)
Afterward, our editor shared a discussion with a group of University of
Nebraska grad students in animal science and veterinary medicine. Before long,
 the topic turned to _Kevin Fulton_
(http://www.kearneyhub.com/news/local/article_e5ac6c78-2307-11df-89dd-001cc4c002e0.html)
  and _Wayne Pacelle_
(http://humanewatch.org/index.php/people/detail/wayne_pacelle/) , whose
friendship was plain throughout  the evening.
One animal science Masters Degree candidate had this to say: “I don’t have
a  problem with the grass-fed beef production that Kevin Fulton is pushing.
I just  have a problem when he attacks everything else.
“When Fulton characterizes conventional feedlots as ‘concentration camps,’
it  shows his ignorance—and his intentions.”
Reached for a response on Sunday, Fulton said "I'd really rather not. Have
a  nice flight back to DC!"
_Second-year veterinary student Jake Geis_
(http://nebraska.statepaper.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2010/11/20/4ce846c5c64ae)
was equally  direct about
Wayne Pacelle: “I take offense at Pacelle’s statements that  veterinarians who
work with livestock are in the pockets of ‘industry’. We’ve  devoted our
lives to the betterment of these animals. We’re in this business  because we
love them.
“I think he’s lashing out at veterinarians because we’re calling his
bluff.  His suggestion that he knows more about animal welfare than a vet shows
his  agenda.”
Nebraska farmer Travis Dunekacke saved his disappointment for the fact that
 barely one-third of the audience consisted of ranchers, pork producers,
and  others in agriculture.
“The turnout of agriculture people that you would consider opposed to HSUS’
s  viewpoints was very poor,” he said. “Why not show up and hear the
message, even  if you disagree with it?”
Dunekacke acknowledged that Wayne Pacelle and HSUS have very little
credibility with most Americans in animal agriculture, and it would be hard to
convince them they’d hear anything new from him.
“I understand that, but they still should come. This is all about politics,
 and politics starts with education.”
On the other hand, the no-shows may have gotten the better end of the deal.
 Near the two-hour mark, two women from the agriculture school at the
University  of Nebraska emerged from the meeting room, heads shaking and eyes
rolling.
Asked what Pacelle was up to inside, one replied without missing a beat:  “
Avoidance. He’s dancing around questions, not answering them, changing the
subject. We had enough.”
Her friend added: “We’re going out for prime rib.”
Related Organizations
    *   _Humane Society of the United States_
(http://humanewatch.org/index.php/organizations/detail/humane_society_of_the_united_states/)

Posted on 11/22/2010 at 08:30 AM by the HumaneWatch Team
_Animal Agriculture_
(http://humanewatch.org/index.php/site/category/animal_agriculture/)  • _Dairy_
(http://humanewatch.org/index.php/site/category/dairy/)  • _Eggs_
(http://humanewatch.org/index.php/site/category/eggs/)  •
_Gov't, Lobbying, Politics_
(http://humanewatch.org/index.php/site/category/government_lobbying_politics/)
• _Meat_
(http://humanewatch.org/index.php/site/category/meat/)  • _Veterinarians_
(http://humanewatch.org/index.php/site/category/veterinarians/)  • (6)
_Comments_
(http://humanewatch.org/index.php/site/post/the_nebraska_open_meeting_that_wasnt/#comments)

Donna  & the Dosido Gang
Remlap, Alabama
Visit me at _www.doublenickellife.blogspot.com_
(http://www.doublenickellife.blogspot.com/)   and help support the Alabama
Canine Coalition by
shopping/searching through  _http://www.goodsearch.com_
(http://www.goodsearch.com/)
 and _http://www.igive.com_ (http://www.igive.com/)

Every year of  dog love is worth seven years of the human stuff. (Michael
Rosen)