[accmemberdiscussion] **AKC embraces general principles of AVMA Guidelines**

  • From: Jdfolmar@xxxxxxx
  • To: members@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 18:49:01 EDT

From the latest AKC Board Minutes August 9 - 10, 2010

_http://www.akc.org/pdfs/about/board_minutes/0810.pdf_
(http://www.akc.org/pdfs/about/board_minutes/0810.pdf)

quote:

Model  Legislation

The Board discussed the new model legislation published by  the American
Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) in May, 2010. The AVMA  published model
legislation and regulations that approach government oversight  of
commercial dog breeding operations from the veterinary
perspective of  overall canine health and wellbeing. It was the sense of
the Board that the AVMA  had done a positive job and that AKC embraces the
general principles contained  in this model.

If you haven't yet seen the Model Regs and Background  statements you can
do so here:

_http://www.avma.org/advocacy/state/issues/Care_for_Dogs_Model_Act_and_Regul
ations.pdf_
(http://www.avma.org/advocacy/state/issues/Care_for_Dogs_Model_Act_and_Regulations.pdf)

_http://www.avma.org/advocacy/state/issues/Care_for_Dogs_Model_Act_and_Regs_
Backgrounder.pdf_
(http://www.avma.org/advocacy/state/issues/Care_for_Dogs_Model_Act_and_Regs_Backgrounder.pdf)

*******Commentary from my friend Margo:

(all I can say is...I don't think the AKC Board really read what was in the
 AVMA Model Reg and Guidelines and thought about this sufficiently. It's
come  under heavy criticisms from those of us on pet legislation lists since
these  Model Regs have a strong AR flavor.)