[accessiblelinux] Re: the stream editor?

  • From: Storm Dragon <stormdragon2976@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: accessiblelinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 08:29:36 -0400

Hi,
Yes sed is very powerful and can use regexps. This page is awesome, I
refer to it for almost all of my sed needs:
http://www-h.eng.cam.ac.uk/help/tpl/unix/sed.html
Funny thing is, the thing you need, double spacing is the first thing in
the list.
sed G yourfile.txt > doublespaced.txt
Note the page just shows you the sed line, you have to know how to
redirect to a file etc. if you just do:
sed G yourfile.txt
it will display the file with double spacing, not actually write the
file with the double spaces, so that's why the > and the new file name.
If you try to write it to the same file it will erase everything in the
file which is probably not a good thing lol.
HTH
Storm

--
Registered Linux user number 508465: