[accesscomp] a note from Eric Damery of Freedom Scientific

  • From: "Robert Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <aw-announcements@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2015 12:38:27 -0700

Dear Friends,

Please find below some thoughtful comments by Eric Damery in response to my
letter.

Bob Acosta

Hi Bob,

Everyone is interested to hear. I know that Microsoft will be publishing
something soon to talk about the release, and what it means for
Accessibility. In general, Windows 10 will not be much of a leap from 8.1
for users. The two big changes we are sorting out still:

1. People who have Win 7 or 8 today, and decide to upgrade to 10
through the update process. If they have older AT products like versions of
JAWS that go back several years, the upgrade could be a problem. We are
working on some utilities to help in that process.

2. The second area of concern will be with the new IE referred to as
"Edge". This will not be ready for primetime with AT products in the initial
release. What Microsoft and AT vendors will likely suggest, is that you set
IE, which is still included in Win 10 as your default browser. Of course
Firefox or Chrome will be options as well.

Later this month, and at the NFB convention on July 5th, we will be speaking
about this more. For the time being, please ask your audience to tune into
Jonathan's Pod Casts over the next 4 to 6 weeks for more details. I'm very
confident that anyone who uses JAWS 16 or MAGic 13, and would like to get
started in Windows 10 on July 29th, we'll have the products ready to start.
And as always, we'll continue to work on improvements and monthly updates as
it gets more traction.

Why don't we get back together in late September and do a JAWS 17 broadcast
if that is OK?

Regards,

Eric