[accesscomp] FW: 6 Entertaining Games Made Entirely in Microsoft Excelm, Dan's tip for Monday September 78 2014

  • From: "Robert Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tektalk discussion" <tektalkdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2014 07:01:37 -0700

Robert Acosta, President

Helping Hands for the Blind

(818) 998-0044

www.helpinghands4theblind.org

From: dan Thompson [mailto:dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, September 08, 2014 6:34 AM
To: dan Thompson
Subject: 6 Entertaining Games Made Entirely in Microsoft Excelm, Dan's tip
for Monday September 78 2014

6 Entertaining Games Made Entirely in Microsoft Excel

http://mashable.com/2014/08/27/microsoft-excel-games/

By Kyli SinghAug 27, 2014

Believe it or not, you can turn the data-analyzing, number-cruncher into one
unbelievably cool game <http://mashable.com/gaming/> .

http://mashable.com/gaming/

The Microsoft <http://mashable.com/category/microsoft/>  software has a few
secrets up its sleeve;

http://mashable.com/gaming/

many people have managed to design new games or recreate classics like
Monopoly from its offerings.

See also: 9 Amazing Projects Made in Microsoft Excel
<http://mashable.com/2014/08/19/microsoft-excel-cool-projects/>

http://mashable.com/2014/08/19/microsoft-excel-cool-projects/

Below, we've highlighted six games made entirely in Microsoft Excel.

Note: For most of these games, you'll need to enable macros. To do so, open
up the game and click "Enable Macros."

1. 2048

http://www.spreadsheet1.com/2048-game-version-for-excel.html

You may have heard of the addicting game
<http://gabrielecirulli.github.io/2048/> 2048 by Gabriele Cirulli. This is
the same exact game, just in Excel format.

In 2048 two tiles of the same number can merge into a new tile that equals
the total value of the two. The goal of the game is to have a tile value of
2,048.

The geniuses at Spreadsheet1.com <http://www.spreadsheet1.com/>

http://www.spreadsheet1.com/

built an Excel version that allows you to play the game, and track your
moves to help analyze your strategy. Since the game is made entirely in
Excel, you can resume the game at a later time by saving the workbook, and
it can be played online or offline. It is available for Excel 2007 or later,
and can be downloaded for free here
<http://www.spreadsheet1.com/2048-game-version-for-excel.html> .

http://mashable.com/2014/08/27/microsoft-excel-games/

But what if you want to play this game and be discrete at work? Reddit
<http://mashable.com/category/reddit/>  user Krzychu81
<http://www.reddit.com/r/excel/comments/25gcy8/are_you_too_scared_of_being_c
aught_playing_2048/>  created a version of 2048 with "highly advanced
cloaking mechanisms to camouflage itself as financial statements." Reddit
Krzychu81
<http://www.reddit.com/r/excel/comments/25gcy8/are_you_too_scared_of_being_c
aught_playing_2048/>

To download this sneaky version,  visit this link and the download is on
this page.

http://mashable.com/2014/08/27/microsoft-excel-games/

2. Candy Number Crunch Saga

In four days, Canadian accountant Cary Walkin
<https://twitter.com/CaryWalkin>  created Candy Number Crunch Saga. The game
is a satirical take on the famous Candy Crush Saga
<https://king.com/#!/play/candycrush>  game we all know and love, by
King.com <https://king.com/> .

The description states that the game "takes place in the not too distant
future where King.com (KING) has had a successful IPO. The burden is on you,
brave stock trader, to invest wisely and become richer beyond your wildest
dreams!"

This creative game has more than 35 news events that can realistically
affect stock price and includes a real-time stock ticker.

Candy Number Crunch Saga is available on PC
<http://mashable.com/category/pc/>  Excel versions 2007, 2010 and 2013. To
download it for free,  by visiting this URL.

http://mashable.com/2014/08/27/microsoft-excel-gamesDescription:

ExceTumblr <http://mashable.com/category/tumblr/>  user Andrew Werner
<http://okayandrew.tumblr.com/About>  was playing the popular board game
Monopoly with his wife and friend when he began to think of different
strategies <http://okayandrew.tumblr.com/post/5039074212>  for the game.

After 12 to 14 hours of work, he created a Monopoly simulator in Excel using
a programming language called Visual Basic for Applications (VBA). The game
allows up to four players, and was updated in August 2011 with the option to
choose "human" or "computer" players.

To download it for free,  visit the link below.

http://mashable.com/2014/08/27/microsoft-excel-games/

4. 3D Maze

Built into an Excel grid, 3D Maze was developed by Jordan Goldmeier from
Option Explicit VBA <http://optionexplicitvba.com/> . Goldmeier, a guest
author on Walkin's blog <http://carywalkin.ca/> , shared a step-by-step
tutorial
<http://carywalkin.ca/2013/09/17/vba4play-making-a-maze-part-1-your-first-ma
ze/>  on how to create 3D mazes and posted this game.

Using the arrow buttons in the spreadsheet, you can easily move around the
maze. Below the arrows, a map can also help you navigate the maze.

3D Maze is available on PC Excel versions 2007, 2010 and 2013.

Visit this URL  to download the game for free.

5. Arena.Xlsm

In addition to Candy Number Crunch Saga, Walkin designed a full-length
role-playing game called Arena.Xlsm. The game took five months to make, and
was released last March. It features more than 2,000 possible enemies, 1,000
possible item combinations, a storyline with four different endings and 31
spells.

Arena.Xlsm is available on PC versions of Excel 2007, 2010 and 2013.

Download this gme for free at:

http://mashable.com/2014/08/27/microsoft-excel-games/

6. Writer's Block

Kevin Lyman, a former Microsoft intern, built an original multiplayer word
game that he describes as "Scrabble meets Battleship." Writer's Block, the
name of the game, was built entirely in Excel using a combination of
conditional formatting, Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) and  s, Lyman
tells Mashable.

Lyman is currently porting Writer's Block from Excel to mobile platforms,
and plans to release it to Android <http://mashable.com/category/android/> ,
iOS <http://mashable.com/category/ios/>  and Windows
<http://mashable.com/category/windows/>  Phone this coming November. The
Excel version of Writer's Block is not available to the public, but will be
once the mobile versions are out.

Prayer for Inner Peace

Lord, help me to live in Your joy and peace. Give me strength and
understanding to resist anxiety, anger, envy, depression, bitterness,
hopelessness, loneliness, fear and guilt. Rescue me when "my spirit is
overwhelmed within me; my heart within me is distressed" (Psalm 143:4). I
refuse to let my life be brought down by negative emotions such as these.

When I am tempted to give in to them, show me Your Truth. You have said in
Your Word that by our patience we can possess our souls (Luke 21:19) Give me
patience so I can do that. Help me to keep my 'heart with all diligence,"
for I know that "out of it spring the issues of life: (Proverbs 4:23).

To subscribe to Dan's tips or dedaily devotions, send an email to
dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx with either "subscribe dan's tips" or "subscribe daily
devotion" in the subject.

This message has been scanned by Norton 360

JPEG image