[accesscomp] Dan's tip for today

  • From: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tektalk discussion" <tektalkdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 07:32:39 -0700

    How to Really Speed up File Copying in Windows

Updated 19. July 2012 - 13:53 by v.laurie

Have you ever tried copying a bunch of files to another drive and been
frustrated by how slow the process was? This can be especially noticeable
with USB flash drives. One way to make copying go much faster is to copy one
large file instead of many small ones. So use this trick - put all your
files in a single archive (zip) file and copy that. But don't use the
Windows zip function to create the archive. It's much too slow. Use a free
program like 7-Zip found at the link below.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-file-archiver-zip-utility.htm

which is much faster.

Once they are copied, you can unzip the files on the new location if you
wish. However, for many purposes  you can leave the files archived and
access them when necessary with Windows Explorer or the 7-Zip file manager.

To illustrate how much time you save this way, here are some numbers that I
got when I copied a 316 MB folder with 12, 904 files to a USB flash drive:

·         To copy the files the standard way took just under 22 minutes

·         To copy a single archived file (145 MB) - 1 minute, 32 seconds to
create the archive and 33 seconds to copy.

Naturally, these numbers are specific to my setup with a fast Windows 7
computer and a particular USB 2.0 configuration but they give an idea of the
time that can be saved.

Copying files over a network has its own set of problems with slowness.
There are numerous posts in Microsoft Technet forums and there is a summary
at this link,

http://winntfs.com/2011/10/07/slow-file-copy-or-slow-file-transfer-with-various-windows-versions-2k8-2k8r2-2k3/

If your copying involves multiple gigabytes, consider one of the free
programs discussed at Gizmo's Best Free File Copy Utility.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-file-copy-utility.htm

Dan Thompson
dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx
this message has been scanned with microsoft security essentials

Robert Acosta, President
Helping Hands for the Blind
Email: boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web Site: www.helpinghands4theblind.org

You can assist Helping Hands for the Blind by donating your used computers to
us. If you have a blind friend in need of a computer, please mail us at the
above address.