[accesscomp] Dan Tap for the Day

  • From: "Robert Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2015 10:58:11 -0700

Today's tip hit right home regarding our Son and now Daughter who are very
much intense on eating healthy and keeping weight down. I worry about our
Grand-daughter of five years and when brining this up, have been greeted
with a bit of quiet time from my daughter, smile.

Fitness on a Budget

By Mary Hunt on
<http://everydaycheapskate.us5.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=b4d1c4d7b1da53
460e9ce45f4&id=17fa8a77c2&e=8082900242> 03/30/15

Recently I got a frantic letter from Barbara, who lives in Florida. It seems
that her teenage son has taken up bodybuilding and her husband is adhering
rigidly to the Atkins Diet, both of which are protein heavy. Barb got
through the first week with a major case of mixed emotions: Her husband lost
7 pounds, her son gained 4-and her food bill doubled!

10131036_m

Can Barb keep her food costs down while still supporting her family's eating
choices? I know she can. Special diets don't have to be budget-busters. In
the same way her son and husband are adjusting their way of eating, Barb
must adjust the way she shops.

Don't pay full-price for protein. Tuna, chicken breasts and lean beef cuts
are always on sale somewhere. If you don't want to store-hop, you can always
find some cut of meat, fish and poultry on sale in your favorite market. Eat
what's on sale and if it's a loss-leader (that means dirt-cheap in an effort
to entice people through the door), stock up for the coming weeks. Grab up
the items that are marked down for quick sale and then freeze.

Buy carbs in bulk. Find a warehouse club, ethnic market, health food store
or food coop that offers rice, beans, oatmeal, nuts and legumes in by the
pound. Store dry items in the freezer to retain freshness.

Shop with a list. Buying on impulse can blow a budget and a diet. So can
arriving at the store hungry. Eat before you get there, stick to your list
so you leave nothing to chance.

Buy generic. Let go of your brand loyalties. Shop by best value and not by
brand. Try the store brand. Most all stores have a "satisfaction guaranteed"
policy. If you try something and it is awful, ask for a refund. Some generic
items are identical to their brand-name cousins, while others are pretty
bad. So you be the judge.

Don't throw anything away. Freeze extra rice or left over pasta in freezer
bags. Save up meat bones and scraps in the freezer to make stock or soup.
Ditto on vegetables.

Stick to the perimeter. If you're on a diet or special food plan, most
everything you need is around the outside perimeter of the typical store
(dairy, meat, produce), while the high-calorie, high-priced items are in
those center aisles.

Don't pay for convenience. Pre-washed bagged lettuce and pre-cut veggies
might be convenient, but they are expensive. Pre-cut vegetables are three to
four times more. Individual packets of oatmeal are outrageously priced. The
way to make sure you're getting the best deal is to shop by price per unit,
not package price. When it comes to produce, buy what's in season and you'll
get the best price and best quality, too.

Control portions. Eating more than is prescribed by your food plan will blow
your diet and your budget. Take the time to measure and weigh. Tomorrow
before you pour out your bowl of cereal, read the box to find out how much
cereal makes a single serving. Now measure that amount into your bowl. Does
it look a little puny? It's possible that your "dump method" has been
treating you to 3-4 servings at a time instead of just one. Whoops.

<http://everydaycheapskate.us5.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=b4d1c4d7b1da53
460e9ce45f4&id=ca8e0b8b8f&e=8082900242> Mary Hunt's Everyday Cheapskate

He sees the perils that are in our path that we cannot see. He speaks to us
in mercy and grace and He builds us up to meet the dangers and be prepared
to receive the things we could not wisely use today. There are many things
which we can employ tomorrow that we cannot wisely use today.

-A.A. Conrad

To subscribe to Dan's tips or HotSpot with God Daily Devotional, send a
blank message to dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx and include "subscribe Dan's Tips" or
Subscribe HotSpot with God" in the subject line.

Robert Acosta, President

Helping Hands for the Blind

(818) 998-0044

www.helpinghands4theblind.org