[access-uk] Re: the fortuna

  • From: "Steve Nutt" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 17:39:18 +0100

Hi Damon,

Yes, you can drop markers, but Wayfinder calls them favourites.  It doesn't
trigger them all as you pass though, you have to set each favourite as a
destination along the route.  Not a problem once you get to know it, but a
little tedious.

The Wayfinder's advantage is that it downloads the routes from a server, so
you don't have to worry about updating maps.  Also, the trekker uses tons of
cards, so if you travel over the UK, you are forever shuffling flash cards.
Not my idea of fun.  But apparently, they are supposed to be releasing the
whole of the UK on one card.

The trekker is too chatty for me, although I haven't had a lot of experience
with it, and don't own one, but the Wayfinder may not be chatty enough for
new users.

Sorry I can't be any more specific, these observations are borne of walking
with Trekker owners, and observing what happens.

Finally, the Trekker's GPS receiver is basically not good.  It very quickly
drops a connection.  You can't change the receiver with Trekker, unless you
have it on the Maestro, but you can use any Bluetooth receiver with
Wayfinder.

All in all then, Wayfinder is more flexible, if not quite as usable.

Oh, and let's not forget the price difference.  If you already have a phone,
it's about three hundred pounds, then about 50 pounds a year to maintain it,
so you would go quite a few years, before youpaid the price of a Trekker.

Hope this helps.

All the best
mobile:  +44(0)7956 334938,
Email:  Steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx