[access-uk] Re: speach to text software:

  • From: "jim o'brien" <jim.taggart@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 13:00:20 -0000

thanks for that. very helpful
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Hussein Patwa
  To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2009 12:24 PM
  Subject: [access-uk] Re: speach to text software:

  Hi,

  I'm not sure if you meant the subect as the actual title of the software so
I'll speak from my own experience in general.

  I've had great success with Dragon Naturally Speaking 10.  Earlier this year
both my hands were in splints for the best part of two months due to suspected
carpel tunnel syndrome. I used Dragon to dictate all my e-mails, letters and
some longer reports.  The accuracy level is almost directly proportional to the
amount of training you do beforehand, as you have to let the software get used
to your voice and speaking patterns.  But it works wonderfully even for me with
my totally skewed accent (one of the curses of being a multi-linguist).

  I believe you can get the basic edition for less than £100, although the
Preferred one is more expensive.  I got mine cheaply when I was travelling
abroad, which also has multilanguage support, but if you don't need that than
things may well be cheaper.

  There are undoubtedly other packages out there, but Dragon is one of the
better known.

  HTH.

  _______________________________________

  Have a pleasant day,

  Kind Regards and Best Wishes,

  Hussein.

  I am participating in the 2009 National Novel Writing Month Challenge.
Follow my progress at http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/498747

  Hussein Patwa

  Tel: 0789 47 595 62 (UK)

  Tel: +44 (0)122 4433 954  (SIP)

  Skype: patwaspotterfan2

  GoogleTalk: thewanderingwriter

  Web: www.patwanet.co.uk

  My Blog: http://patwaspotterfan.livejournal.com

  Find me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=510013486

  Please note: For security reasons calls from witheld numbers may not be
connected.  Please release your number so it can be viewed prior to calling.
Contact your telephone service provider for advice on how to do this if
required.  All calls may be recorded for fact verification.

  DISCLAIMER:

  This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential or sensitive
information and are intended solely for the stated recipient(s).  Copying or
distribution in any form is not permitted without the prior consent of the
sender.  If you have received this message in error, please delete it and any
attachments from your system and notify the sender immediately.  Thank you for
your co-operation.

  Protect our trees; Do not print unless absolutely necessary.  Save paper by
deleting sections of the message which are not relevant.