[access-uk] setting up a home network

  • From: "yusuf" <yusufaosman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "access-uk" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 21:47:13 -0000

Hi all, I have the following Netgear DG834G for my desktop and WG511 for my
laptop. I'll admit from the outset that I have not yet had a chance to read
the manuals and probably won't for a while as I am really busy at the
moment. Can anyone help me out with a little advice?

I've got both pieces of kit set up so that my desktop can connect to the
internet. Its connection is currently wired. And my laptop can connect using
the WG511 wireless card to the wireless access point on the DG834G. I'll
reitorate both can connect independantly to the internet using my BT
broadband so thats fine.

The problem is that whatever I do (with the windows network setup wizard) I
cannot get the two computers talking to each other. I originally wanted to
be able to access files from my laptop on my desktop and the other way.

Both computers are windows XP although the laptop is pro and the desktop is
home.

Should I be setting up the network with the software that came with the
router and the wireless PCMCIA card rather than the windows network setup
wizard?

Are there any detailed instructions on getting a home network up and
running?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated I've been going round and
round with this for ages.

Cheers
Yusuf