[access-uk] Re: removing Samsung recovery solution from NC10 netbooks

  • From: "Jackie Cairns" <jackie.cairns@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 16:32:23 -0000

James, I rather hoped they might be on one of the CDs.  I haven't looked
either.  They don't make much sense on first glance to be honest.
(smile).

Jackie Cairns
 Braille Support Adviser
 Email: Jackie.Cairns@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Sight and Sound Technology
 Welton House North Wing
 Summerhouse Road
 Moulton Park
 Northampton
 NN3 6WD
 Telephone: 01604 798024
 Fax: 01604 798090
 Web: www.sightandsound.co.uk

From: Jackie Cairns <jackie.cairns@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 02:49:20 PM
netbooks

Hi Ibrahim

Once my machine was initially set up, this Samsung WinScheduler Recovery
notification popped up every time I loaded the device.  I mulled for a
few days over it, and what to do, but decided to ask a colleague to  do
the backup just for a bit of peace and quiet.  He told me that it
rebooted in Safe Mode, then asked for agreement to the licence.  Upon
checking that, it proceeded to make a backup which took about 20 minutes
to half an hour.  After that, it wanted to reboot, and then loaded
Windows normally.  This is why sighted assistance might be needed, as it
does ask a couple of things or wants a prompt in the dark to reboot.

On D drive of the NC10, I now have the Samsung Recovery 3 thing sitting
there.  There is now no longer any reminder of it in the System Tray,
and I've never been asked to do anything else since.  I have no idea
what its purpose is, but until I really need the space, I'll leave it
parked there.  My caution for getting rid altogether has always been
that it may have backup drivers pertaining to the sound and graphics for
the machine which I wouldn't like to discard unwittingly.

I've now taken out McAfee, and instead installed AVG 8.0 Free.  It's
probably not the best antivirus software out there for sure, but I'm
kind of used to it, and found McAfee completely inaccessible with JAWS,
even fiddling about with routing the cursors.

And, as I posted a few days ago, I've also taken off the WinCom
Bluetooth software which now allows me to send files to my phone if I
want to, and didn't when it was loaded.

All seems to be well and running, so I'm leaving it alone.

Message sent at 04:28:55 PM GMT on Tuesday, January 06, 2009