[access-uk] my stick

  • From: "Adrian Higginbotham" <adrian.higginbotham@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 14:19:01 +0100

has anyone come across the above product? - it's a u3 drive with u3
compliant  screenreader onboard developed by baum in germany and lists
humanware as the UK distributor but the person I just spoke to in the uk
humanware sales office hadn't heard of it and condisendingly explained
that humanware don't sell other peoples products.

u3 is the same technology which  system access uses  which allows it to
auto run when plugged in to any machine without the need to install
intercepters or the like.
There are now quite a few u3 compliant pieces of software available
making it possible for you to carry your whole system in your pocket.
you just need some dumb input / output hardware to plug it in to.  these
include firefox, skype, open office and many more.  we just need a low
cost u3 compatible screenreader and low cost accessible computing (for
some tasks at least) is a reality.  System access currently costs around
500 dollars so while it's not bad value in comparison to other
screenreaders it isn't quite the level I was hoping I might find.

Adrian Higginbotham
Accessibility and inclusion adviser
British Educational Communications and Technology Agency - BECTA
Tel: Direct dial 024 7679 7333 - Internal extension #2287
Email: Adrian.Higginbotham@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Web: http://www.becta.org.uk/
BECTA, Millburn Hill Road, Science Park, Coventry, CV4 7JJ