[access-uk] gps info

  • From: "marie baisez" <m.baisez@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 12:30:12 +0200

Hi all,
Went on a long bike ride with some friends the other day, when I said that it might be fun if we got lost the guy said: don't worry, I've got Helga, she'll tell us where to go.
Didn't make much sense to me until while riding a voice came from somewhere on his handle bar telling us where the next junction was and which way to turn.
Turns out he's got a pda with gps facility built-in. He programmed our route in the machine and a very clear voice told us where to go and showed the map for him on the screen.
He said you can get maps for different parts of the world and download special itinaries depending on your interests from the internet.
Do any of you use such a system? How can it be made acccessible? can such system be built-in into a mobile? if so, could Talks be used to program and access the system?
who do you have to pay to access the gps service, your internet provider or your mobile service provider?

I'm sure I could find all the answers on the net but I would have to hunt around for them and they wouldn't come from a blind user's point of view so I'd be grateful for any thoughts, comments and info on this matter.

Cheers now,

Marie