[access-uk] Re: audio production

  • From: David Bailes <david_bailes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 09:14:27 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Martin,

One possibility would be to use Audacity, which has the advantage of being
free. There's a Jaws guide available at:
http://vip.chowo.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/jaws/Audacity-1.3.8-Guide.html

As noted in the guide, there's currently a bug when opening stereo audio files,
but that wouldn't be a problem unless you wanted to edit the files you'd
created, and also a bug fixed version is due out soom. To give you an idea of
how audacity works, this is a rough outline of how to create the example you
gave:

1. Open audacity.
2. Add a new track, using the tracks menu.
3. Open the Tone generator dialog from the Generate menu. Specify frequency and
time, say 1 second.
4. Move the cursor to the end of the audio.
5. Open the silence generator dialog, and specify a time of 1 second
6, Select all the audio, and then choose duplicate from the edit menu. so that
you now have two identical tracks.
7. Select the audio in track 2, and choose the Reverse effect from the Effects
menu. Track two now contains silence followed by the tone, rather than the
other way round in track one.
8. Set the pan control of track one to fully right, and the pan control of
track two to fully left.
9. Select all the audio, and then open the repeat dialog from the effects menu.
specify how many repeats of the selected audio you want.

Note that with the above, you get a bit a a click when the tone moves between
channels, but you can fade in and fade out the tone to get rid of this.

Another commercial program that might be worth investigating is cakewalk sonar,
and there are Jaws scripts availble. There's also an audio mailing list at:
http://pc-audio.org/

If you decide to use Audacity, and need any further help, just let me know,

David.