[access-uk] Re: XP CD Burner

  • From: "Denis Tocher" <dentoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 13:58:46 -0000

Hi Darren,

Inspired by your enquiry and George's response, I used the Windows XP Help
and support function to find out more.  I gws led to a Microsoft site and
got the followin.  I am more knowledgeable now and hope it helps you as
well.

Kind regards.

Denis

*******

But now, Windows XP makes this technology a mainstream activity. Built-in
support for CD burning makes the task easier than ever before-as easy as
copying to a floppy disk. Let's take a look at how this works.
How to Burn CDs
Using Windows XP, you can copy tracks either to a compact disk-recorder
(CD-R) or to a compact disk-rewritable (CD-RW).When you first insert a blank
CD into your CD recorder drive, Windows XP opens a dialog box asking if you
want to open a writable CD folder.

Depending on what your needs are, you can choose to open a folder or not.
The Always do the selected action check box remembers your choice if you
don't want to be prompted every time.
With the folder open, you can drag and drop files and/or directories into
it. Windows XP makes a copy of these files in a special staging area until
it is time to burn the CD, and displays a list of the contents waiting to be
recorded. At this point, you can still change your mind about any of the
contents in the folder. Simply select and delete any files or directories
you don't want copied. They are removed from the staging area only, and your
original files are not deleted.
If you attempt to place more content on the CD than its capacity allows, you
will be notified. Typically, a standard CD holds 650 MB, a high capacity CD
holds 850 MB. When you're ready to record, just click Write these files to
CD in the task bar to the left. The CD Writing Wizard opens and prompts you
for a label for the CD. You can enter up to 16 characters. Click Next and
the wizard displays a progress bar indicating the status. If you did not
select the Close the wizard after the files have been written check box,
then a final dialog box opens, asking if you'd like to make an additional
copy of the same files.
When you're actually doing this for the first time, by this point you're
saying "Wow!," or "Cool!," or "Groovy!," or whatever vernacular your
generation uses. But wait! There's more!
Let's say you forgot a file. Or better yet, let's say you put a mere 200 MB
on the CD, and it's really bugging you that there's 500 MB going unused.
Penny-pinchers never fear, it's not too late to add more!
Simply drag and drop more files into the folder and they will be added to
the waiting list for the next recording session. Windows XP fully supports
creating multi-session CDs. Just be aware of the fact that adding a file or
folder of the same name replaces the prior version.
 Top of page
Rewritable CDs Supported Too
Depending on your recording needs, the slightly more expensive rewritable
(CD-RW) format may be appealing to you. I did notice that the recording
speed was slightly slower than with CD-discs, but it is nice to simply erase
and reuse the media instead of tossing it into the trash when it's no longer
relevant. But be careful about using CD-RW media if you don't know the
target machine. Generally, CD-RWs play in CD-ROM drives. Some CD drives have
difficulty reading CD-RW discs. When you want to erase a CD-RW disc, insert
it into your recorder drive and click Erase the CD-RW in the task bar.
If you want to make some adjustments to Windows XP's default settings for
recording options, navigate to a folder showing the drive of your CD
recorder. Right-click it, click Properties, and then click the Recording
tab. There are four options you can change here, including the staging drive
it should use, and the default recording speed to use. The default speed is
Fastest, which means the fastest speed supported by your drive.

 Top of page
Don't Leave Home Without Your Tunes
We haven't covered audio CDs yet. Windows XP supports the creation of audio
CDs through the Media Player. But you can initiate it from Windows XP
folders too. If you have a folder open with media files such as .WMA, .MP3,
or .WAV, select the files to record and then click Record to audio CD in the
task bar. Windows Media Player opens with your selected files in the list of
audio files to be recorded. You can continue to add files, either from
Windows XP folders or through the Windows Media Player interface. When
you're ready to record your audio CD, click the Copy Music button in Media
Player. It converts the audio files to the required format for audio
recording in a temporary location, and then begins the CD recording process.

The integrated CD burning capabilities in Windows XP do not perform every
task the third-party applications do, only the most commonly needed ones.
There are still certain tasks such as full CD duplication for bootable CDs
and creating CDs from images (such as an .ISO file) that will require a
third-party tool. I know I'll be installing my favorite tool, but I'm also
finding it delightfully refreshing to use the integrated CD recording for
most of my recording tasks.
Galan Bridgman is a developer, architect, and enthusiast for digital media
technologies. He co-developed QuickTime for