[access-uk] What do I need for accessible keyboards and music?

  • From: "Ari" <aridamoulakis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 19:36:41 +0200

Hi guys,
I somehow need to explain my background with keyboards first, together with
what I want to try and do. I play my brother's very old keyboard for musical
enjoyment. What I'd like to do now, especially when starting to want to do
podcasting, is to somehow connect a keyboard to the computer, or, at least to
somehow try and transfer my compositions from the keyboard onto the computer,
and to probably integrate them with Goldwave, which I am learning how to use,
as music for my intended podcasts or audio. First, I would like to get a new
keyboard, but what? I don't want something too visual or sort of difficult to
learn, and also, since I am a student, not something very expensive. The type
of music I want to create are, for example, like 80's electro pop type of
stuff, or, at least, music with an 80's feel, so the keyboard must have some
cool beats and stuff of that sort. What makes or models of keyboard have you
guys used quite easily and successfully? Another thing, when I once suggested
something to a guy from this company called Dancing Dots, he recommended to me
that, apparrently, keyboards use a format called midi to sort of record into
the computer, and that, to do what I want to do, I needed Cakewalk and
Caketalk, which I really don't want to get as I'm not a professional musician
or anything, and don't have that kind of money either.
Basically, all I want to do is to be able to play stuff on my keyboard, and to
somehow transfer it onto the computer where I can insert it into my podcast or
audio recording which I am learning to do with Goldwave that was recommended
here. What modern keyboard do you guys recommend, and what extra software would
I need, does software maybe come with the keyboard?
Thanks
Ari