[access-uk] Re: Usb device

  • From: "Adrian Higginbotham" <adrian.higginbotham@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 10:41:55 +0100

Go for one of the new generation zen stone players that has a built in speaker
- although apparently very small so don't know what the volume or quality is
like. Or plug the same or similar player in to a set of portable speakers lots
of sets on the market from about £15 that are designed for specificly this
purpose and genericly called ipod dockin stations or ipod docs but will support
anything with a 3.5 mil headphone socket.  Or another alternative I bought a
portable hifi (boom box) last year for about £40 that has a USB socket so you
can plug in any USB mp3 playter, to use with the zen stone you'd have to use
the charging cable to adapt from the mini usb socket on the device to the usb
socket on the machine but will work fine, I think it only works with mp3
players,not pen drives.  Or yet another alternative, many modern cd players
portable or otherwise, and dvd players too will play mp3 CDs so you could burn
msic books etc to CD to play on your system in which ever room you choose - a
bit more labour intensive and likely to keep you in coasters and bird scarers
for a long time unless you use re writable media.  Or if you want a much higher
cost solution then something like a portable daisy player suchas the victar
stream with variable spped built in speaker etc but will set you back a couple
of hundred quid rather than the £45 or so for a stone plus doc.

Adrian Higginbotham
Project manager: Learning services
Becta
Tel: Direct dial 024 7679 7333 - Becta switchboard 02476-416994.
Email: Adrian.Higginbotham@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Web: http://www.becta.org.uk/
BECTA, Millburn Hill Road, Science Park, Coventry, CV4 7JJ