[access-uk] Re: Urgent Problem

  • From: "Andrew Hodgson" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 11:16:32 +0100

Hi,

Yes, there is nothing they can really do about this.  Anyone can send a
mail from your domain, there is nothing you can do about it.  The ISP
can't filter out the bounces either as they usually come from a lot of
different sources.  I have a few attacks of this, when it happens our
mail server just bounces the undeliverable mail messages, as they are
usually sent to non-existant people at the domain (i.e, I once had a
load of mails coming in for giggleswick_1933@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, as well
as some other funny combinations.  Unfortunately, though, since your
domain runs on a pop3 catchall situation, it is slightly difficult to
get this set up.  One thing you can do is to fetch mail for just the
users you want, for example, depending on how you log on using the POP3
server, if you normally say log on using the username mydomain.com, and
you just want all mail for edward to be picked up, try using the
username edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx with the same password, it may work.  The
downside to this is you need a separate POP3 instance for each user you
want to collect mail for.

The good news is this usually happens in spats, usually until someone
kicks the spammer off the current ISP.

Andrew.

** vacation ## d