[access-uk] The Wileyfox Swift Accessibility Bundle Part 3.

  • From: David Griffith <daj.griffith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 14:46:44 +0100

This is an update on the investigations I have been making into the potential of this device to be a suitable Media Player for a Deaf blind person.

There are a number of clarifications I need to make in relation to what I have posted previously.

1. In part 1 of these reviews I was a little concerned as to the rapidity of battery drain when I first received the device. This has, am glad to say settled down over the last couple of days. I suspect that the biggest factor in this may have been the turning off of the vibrate feedback feature in Talkback settings. As I was investigating the device I effectively had the device vibrating consistently over several hours on Sunday. Since the vibrate feature has been cancelled the device has seen a battery usage that is more appropriate. When I picked up the device last night to experiment with its potential for reading Mobi files it still had a battery level of 83% remaining. So this seems much more reassuring.

2. In part 2 of my Review I criticised the Audible App for being significantly quieter than other media apps on the device. I mentioned at the time I needed to try more than one title for a fairer test. In fact I discovered that for whatever reason the commencement of the book I was testing was simply unsuitably quiet and as subsequent chaptors loaded the volume returned to expected levels. I think I would cautiously report that if anything the playback through Audible on the Swift is not only equivalent to that on my iPhone SE but probably slightly surpasses it. I was certainly able to listen to a book called Cockroaches last night, even without hearing aid assistance.

However one aspect of the Android Audible app is definitely not as easy as its iOS manifestation. Using the seek bar to adjust the speed of narration was difficult even for my sighted wife. In the end we only achieved the desired level of speed adjustment by her placing my finger on the seek bar and my tapping and dragging with feedback from her. I am not sure that if is due to an Andoid or App fault but as I normally do not adjust narration speed, listening to Audible consistently at 1.5, this one time use of sighted help has resolved matters for me. Others may comment on how easy it is to learn to use the seek bar. My big problem was that I could not consistently locate it with Talkback. I am happy to report that no similar difficulties existed with any of the other media apps I used so hopefully Audible will sort this with an update.

3. Music
I reported only briefly on Music. I have now installed the GoneMad Music player and I have to say that my experience of this so far is excellent. I had transferred a significant amount of music from my PC onto the SD card and had expected that there would be some process of importation needed. Instead all the Music I transferred was immediately available and visible on the Media Player when I opened it. My experience of it so far is that it is completely accessible and the volume output is absolutely great. You will not be straining to hear with this app.

4. Locked Screen. It is inevitable that you will have to deal with locked screens if you want to use this media device on the move. However I was pleasantly surprised to hear that when I reviewed the locked screen that not only the pllay pause, volume. skip forward and skip backward buttons for the active media playing was available but also any other app you had playing in the background

So there were pause and play button available not only for the Mobi eBook Reading app I was testing but also the Audible App in the background. You can even if you want start both playing at the same time though why you would want to do this is perhaps not clear.
However what I thingk is the case is that you could load all your media applications, Say Audible, Voicedream Reader, Music Player and so on and be effectively be able to control all of them from the locked screen without having to enter the device itself. I will continue to investigate the potential of this feature. As far as I have noticed this is not as immediately available on my iPone though it may be that I need to investigate this further as I may have turned Control Centre off my Locked screen to make the sometimes problematic process of answering calls easier.

5. Update on Earphones/Headphones. In my earlier review I mentioned I was using the JVC Gumy folding on ear headphones with good results. Last night I experimented with using the earpones which came with the Sandisk clip Talking Mp3 Player. I am pleased to say that the volume feedback was even better than with the gumy. If anybody knows how to source these earphones independently from buying the Sandisk Clip I would be very interested to hear.

David Griffith

If anybody has a pair of the earphone

of

** To leave the list, click on the immediately-following link:-
** [mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=unsubscribe]
** If this link doesn't work then send a message to:
** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
** and in the Subject line type
** unsubscribe
** For other list commands such as vacation mode, click on the
** immediately-following link:-
** [mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq]
** or send a message, to
** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:- faq