[access-uk] Re: The Lame encoder

  • From: Joe Paton <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 18:46:32 +0000

Hi Alexander

at /02/2006 +0000, you wrote:
Hi all,

Yesterday I had reason to try and send out some windows Media audio files to someone, but ideally they wanted the files in .MP3 format.

Although I could not provide this, it got me thinking if I wanted to convert some CD tracks that I own personally from say ..WMA to MP3 in order to play them on my mobile phone or to make ringtones from them, where would I be best to look for the information I would need about the lame encoder which I have noticed has been discussed on this list?
JP writes,
Have you already ripped the tracks from cd and encoded them in to WMA?
format? I am confused because you mention windows media format in your message. Anyway, the lame encoder will work with audio editors like Goldwave, and you can drive it using command line parameters but I guess it's not the easiest process to perform.

I still use Eazy cd da extractor from www.poikosoft.com he is manic about developing the program and is forever sorting bugs and the like. It's not expensive, about 20 dollars or so, and supports lots of alternative file formats. So you can go from wav, to wma, mp3 mp4 flac monkeys audio and back again. Lots more besides. Also the most recent encarnation of ezy cd da Extractor offers explorer shell extentions which makes selecting files easy as turning on the computer..smile..

If you get the proffessional version, you can encode to arc plus, which they claim, gives good quality at smaller bit rates over mp3 at the same bit rate. Arc plus is supported on g3 phones I think.

Hope that helps.

Joe

Alexander Shannon