[access-uk] Re: TV Tuner Cards (Analogue)

  • From: Christopher Maule-Oatway <c.maule@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 22:20:53 +0100

George,

I have an external device made by Hauppage, a German firm, through which FM radio and UHF tv can be played through the computer. The connection is USB, but the tuner's sound output is connected to the line-in on the soundcard. It also has facilities for video recording and playback.

My sighted friends tell me that the TV picture is clear, and the sound is very acceptable to me, though its quality is not that of an expensive hi-fi tuner, but then I wouldn't expect it to be.

I use indoor aerials for both FM and UHF with good results, but I live in a good reception area, about ten miles from the BBC's transmitters and two miles from the transmitters carrying commercial TV and radio and the BBC local radio. Living on the edge of Norwich, there are no high hills to get in the way of the signal, although this does not apply to the whole of Norfolk, contrary to popular belief (Noel Coward has a lot to answer for!).

This package is three years old, so there have doubtless been developments in the hardware and software since then.

If you are interested, I could e-mail you off list the manual in PDF.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Chris

At 21:23 03/09/05 +0100, you wrote:

Does anyone on this list use an analogue TV tuner card in a PC? I don't mean a digital card, I mean the regular UHF type.

Do you even have a friend, sighted or not, who uses one?

It would be useful to know a make a model that works.

George Bell.