[access-uk] TIME TO GO IMAP?

  • From: "Carol Pearson" <carol.pearson29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 12:55:01 -0000

Hi all,

I'm seriously thinking of changing over my accounts from POP3 to IMAP.

First, let me explain that I have two email addresses that will be affected. These are NTL (now Virgin Media) and Googlemail. I know that Googlemail can be run from an IMAP server but haven't yet discovered about Virgin Edmia's addresses. Can anyone andvise, save me hunting through ...

I also currently use Outlook Express at home and do have quite a large collection of folders.

First, am I correct in thinking that IMAP for one account and POP3 for the other may not work well on the same computer, especially if the POP3 has folders here?

How long would I be able to keep folders in IMAP and is there a limit on how how many folders I can have?

There would be some male here which I would really want to keep and I use Googlemail only from Outlook Express and it's been some time since I last deleted any messages from the Inbox at Google, though of course my POP3 is set to delete mail from the sending server each time. How would I deal with tidying the inbox before going IMAP?

Am I correct in thinking that the archived messages in Google stay there for 3 months before they are deleted completely? I tried to check this but haven't found the answer.

Thanks for any help you can give.

--
Carol P