[access-uk] Re: Stick?

  • From: "Dave Taylor" <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 13:51:40 -0000

Hi,

Let me confirm the situation with canes.  RNIB do not sell telescopic long
canes, as previously indicated. They do indeed have to be bought from the
US. The reason is that they smash far too easily. I have known several
people swear by them for a while only to find this out to their cost having
imported them! I did look at that option when I worked for them a few years
ago as I wanted to increase choice, and I felt they were not strong enough
to be safe at that time.

Telescopic symbol canes, known as Extending Canes, however, are not weight
bearing, and so are fine. Note there is no such thing as a stick though! A
stick is something you use to support your weight, not to guide you.

Anyway, RNIB do have the widest range of canes in the country, so take your
pick!

Cheers
Dave