[access-uk] Several questiosn concernign the Mail client on the N95

  • From: "Elliott Barnes" <elliottabarnes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2010 18:58:45 +0100

Hi all,
I have several more questions concerning the Mail client on the N95, but
first let me explain my situation.
Since I like to preserve all of my e-mails for future reference, every
month, I use GMails Archive feature, which allows me to sort all of my
old mail into the All Mail folder. As a result of this, I use IMAP to
access my mail, because it means that only my Inbox folder is checked by
default, and only e-mails in that folder are downloaded, which is
obviously what I want to happen. Messages that get downloaded are marked
as read on the server, and life's good as far as that's concerned.
However, here's where it begins to get complicated.
For the last couple of months I've used Emoze, however I'd like to switch
to the native mail client for several reasons, the main one being that
Emoze uses a central server, which obviously means that if it goes down,
messages can't be checked. However, before I make the switch, I do have
several questiosn which I hope can be answered by someone.
As stated above, I would like to use IMAP, to ensure that only a minimal
number of message are downloaded. I was wondering though, when the Nokia
mail client downloads messages, are they marked as read on the server?
Obviously if they are this is fantastic; I don't have to read through the
same messages on my PC at home.
Now to the bigger issue.
As I also explained earlier, every month, I archive my mail. In my mail
client on my PC, I've checked the option that means that if not on the
server, the client will remove these from the PC, which is good; I don't
want thousands of messages saved everywhere.
However, does anyone know what happens within regards to the Mail client?
What I mean is, if removed from the server by using the GMail Archive
feature, will the Nokia Mail client recognise this, and remove the
message headers from the phone, and if it doesn't do this, is there a way
to do this manually?
The reason that I ask is question is that in the past when I've attempted
to use IMAP on my old E71, I was unable to remove the headers from the
phoen by choosing the Delete option, I have no idea why, they would just
stay on the phoen and there was nothing that I coudl do about them apart
from removign the Mailbox.
Can someone help me in answering these questions?
Thanks a lot in advance,
Elliott.