[access-uk] Seeking feedback regarding tactile compasses

  • From: "Vivien Palcic" <vivienpalcic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 20:51:01 +0800

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has used a tactile compass for orientation and
mobility, and if so, I'd be interested to know your thoughts. I know a
couple of organisations that sell them - namely MaxiAids in the US
(www.maxiaids.com) and Vision Australia (www.visionaustralia.org), and the
few people I've heard from who have used them have said they're very
accurate, in contrast to the more modern talking compasses. Did it take you
long to learn to use it? I don't have the opportunity to try one out before
buying it, as the Association for the Blind over here in Western Australia
doesn't have them. (It's enough of a challenge just to get timely and
thorough orientation and mobility training here.) Any feedback would be
greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
Vivien