[access-uk] Re: Sansa E280

  • From: Laz Mesa <lazaro6@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 12:56:26 -0400

Hi Barry,

This is one of the Sansa models I sell completely set up and speaking,
so, I'm aware of the difficulties you've encountered.  If I had been
in your shoes, I would have gotten her a Sansa Fuze instead.  They're
much nicer and sound much better.

Yes, one needs sighted assistance to change the USB mode, however, you
may be able to force it into MSC mode if it happens to be a version 2
model.

If it's a version 1 model, then you're out of luck until you can get
sighted assistance.

But if it happens to be a version 2 player, then here are the
instructions for forcing it into MSC mode so that it does come up like
a flash drive.

1.  With the player off, slide the hold switch as close to the
headphone jack as possible.
2.  ON this step, you must engage the left button continually until
the player connects so read on.  Engage and hold the left button while
you attach it to your computer until it makes the connect sound and
then give it about 10 seconds and release the left button.

If it's a version 2 player, it will have connected successfully as a
flash drive.  If it didn't, then I'm afraid you have a version 1
player.

However, I expect you already knew if the player was a version 1 or 2
since you  would have had to already have known that to download the
appropriate Rockbox firmware.

To change the USB mode as a blind person takes a lot of patience and
it's a hit and miss endeavor.  I have actually accomplished it twice,
and it's not something I'd like to do every day, as it does take a lot
of time and patience.  You're much better off waiting for sighted
assistance and avoiding that frustration.

I hope it's a version 2 player, as then you'll be able to Rockbox it
and it can be used with the computer by forcing it to connect in MSC
mode when connecting it, and you may choose not to have the sighted
assistance anyway, but if it's a version 1 player, you definitley need
the sighted assistance.

Good luck,

Laz Mesa
Accessible Electronics
The home of the affordable talking MP3 players!
Barry wrote:

Hi folks,

Here's a prime example of lack of Accessibility.

I bought my partner a Sansa E280 8GB player, brand new.  With the intention
of loading Rockbox from,

http://www.rockbox.org

Having had several Archos Jukebox's, and Irivers in the past 7 years I
thought it wouldn't be a problem to install this without sighted help.
Especially as there's an automated tool for the job thesedays and there's a
Quicktime Script to make said tool be more friendly towards Window Eyes.
AFAIK, JFW won't read the Rockbox Utility at all.

Thing is I can only get the player to come up on Media Transfer Mode on my
Windows 7 machine, and not Mass Storage.  So i can't copy the Rockbox files
either automated or manually to the root of the player.  I've been told by a
guy on the RB User Support/Development list that it's a Storage Mode under
the players UI's Settings I need to change.

Fantastic!  Though I've no eyes here, and the set of eyes I could get lives
about 25 minutes away by car and although my Dad would want to help it's
normally allot of hassle.  Plus it's terrible to ask him to come up for 2
minutes to read this screen to me.  A job that would probably take 15
minutes as tech stuff intimidates him.

So...  Whilst it's nice to have a place to rant I'd really like to get RB on
for my partner.  I don't want to have to wait until Thursday when i'm
getting a lift to look at some papers to get eyes.  Do any of you on here
have this player or have had this player?  And therefore know the key
sequences to get into the Settings menu and move the player from MT to MSC
mode when plugged in via USB?

This stuff shouldnt' be this difficult.

I'm going to have a very disappointed lady on my hands when she gets home
and it's still not working.  It's awful to get something in the post and
have all the technical skills to make it talk, but be pipped at the post on
one stupid thing because of not being able to read the screen.

Barry.

--
Talking MP3 players!  Accessible & affordable!  Great features
including:  FM radio, voice recording, expandable memory, great book

To hear what our talking MP3 players sound like, download our demo here:
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/uploads/2/0/4/6/2046538/talking_rockboxed_sansa_e200_series_player_demo.mp3

Visit our home page:
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/

Contact information: