[access-uk] Re: Radio Downloader bad news and request for alternatives

  • From: Gordon Atkinson <g.atkinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 11:39:03 +0100

Hi Amro,

I agree completely with what you say.

I don't know of any other program which will actually download BBC programs.

There is of course the BBC listen again facility in WebbIe, but that only allows you to stream online.

Gordon Atkinson

On 29/06/2013 12:01 AM, Amro Bilal wrote:
Now this is a very bad news, at least to me. I've just read the
following message on the Radio Downloader site:
"Following a request from the BBC, I have removed the Radio Downloader
source and installers. They will return shortly minus the BBC Radio
Provider plugin (e.g. the ability to download BBC Radio programmes).

My apologies for the disappointment that this will cause but I hope that
you will understand.  I believe that the BBC is planning to offer
downloads of radio programmes
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/our_work/services/radio/other/radio_drm.html>from
2014."

So the BBC couldn't leave things be until they actually have a
working alternative in place. We know that this 2014 promise from the
BBC is just meaningless. I am truly outraged. Not a second thought of
the licence payer's needs.

RD no longer works. Any suggestions for an alternative radio downloader
please?

Amro