[access-uk] RJ45 ports

  • From: Douglas Harrison <harrison1d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 16:23:30 -0000

I have read with interest the threadconcerned with connecting to a router via
an ethernet
cable.  At present I am still on dial up, and because I hope to move house in
the near future, I
am looking for a broadband solution which would not have to be completely
replaced
whatever the situation in the future.
Again because of the likelihood of a move I have not replaced my desktop
machine which
came to the end of its useful life a few months ago and am working temporarily
with a pair of
Toshiba laptops.

Whilst reading some of the messages today, it occurred to me that after
swiitching to
broadband I might be able to have one of the machines connected to the router
via eethernet
and use the other one wirelessly.

So I looked at the manual of the latest laptop (Toshiba Satellite Pro A120-186)
to check
whether it had a rJ45 port.

I found the following -

"The following ports and accessories are available on the Advanced Port
Replicator III Plus.
RJ45 LAN jack
RJ11 Modem jack

etc."

Could anyone enlighten me on what it means by "Advanced Port Replicator"?

What makes life difficult is that Toshiba produce a single manual to cover
several models,
and from time to time you read "this feature may not be available on all
models".

I had expected to get on the same laptop a 9 pin serial port which I had hoped
to be able to
use sometimes for an external speech synthesiser,  but where I expected to find
the 9 pin
port there seems only to be a cover plate.

Any clarification or guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Douglas
--

Douglas Harrison