[access-uk] Re: Player For Smallish Content

  • From: "Amro Bilal" <amro_bilal@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 17:05:00 +0100

Tony, if you're after a simple MP3 player, can handle Audible and WMA formats too, picks up playing from where you last stopped listening and doesn't cost much, have a look at the Zen Stones 2GB. However, if you want a full fledged book reader and MP3 player and one that has recording capabilities, I'm not sure if there're any out there that can be described as budget devices.

For reading books I use the Victor Stream from Humanware and I swear by it. I know you can record using it but I haven't tried that feature of the device so can't comment on its recording quality. I recall that the Stream can read DAIZY formats with the latest firmware but this is from memory. So, Consult the Humanware site on this particular point. The Victor costs something like £200.

So, for listening to Audible and MP3 books, listen to music, podcasts, read the odd text or HTML file and record a short note now and then, the Victor is a superb device indeed.

Lastly, I hate to disagree, but whatever you get, don't get an IPod! I Just find them a nuisance to use. Though I'd have to agree that the IPods look just the candy to the eye!

HTH,
Amro
----- Original Message ----- From: "Tony Sweeney" <deirton711@xxxxxxxxx>