[access-uk] Penfriend Laundry Labels

  • From: "Barbara Wilson" <barkingbabs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Access-UK" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 14:07:56 +0100

Hi All

I was one of the people who volunteered to test the Penfriend laundry labels
for the RNIB. I have provided John with my feedback and he has invited me to
share it with the list.

I was sent 10 labels. So far I have tried eight. Out of this eight, six have to
date come off in the wash. Of these six, all of the recordings are readable, as
are the recordings on the two which have remained stuck to the clothes. The
labels were tried on a variety of materials at several different wash
temperatures. A couple also went through the tumble drier and it was pretty
even as to how many survived the drier and how many came off. The labels which
came off in the wash have left quite a sticky residue on the clothes which I
think will take some rubbing off. Most of the labels which came off in the wash
were mixed up with the clothes, but a couple have disappeared into the great
unknown.

So while the recordings all survived the wash and dry, most of the labels
didn't.

As a first prototype for the RNIB, I guess it is good that the recordings
lasted, but the method of attaching the labels to the clothes requires further
development.

Kind Regards

Barbara Wilson
M: 07917710779