[access-uk] Re: Page numbering in word?

  • From: "John Wilson" <jwjw@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 16:46:08 -0000

Hello Ali,

Another way you can deal with page numbering is as follows.
However, remember that the page numbers your screenreader
reads in the status line of Word will show the page number
you are currently on on the document on screen, not the page
numbers as they will appear when you print such a document
out. The new page numbers will be printed out from where you
request this, starting at the page and number you specify,
as part of each page's header or footer.

Page Numbering

With your cursor at the top of page one (or any other page)
of the document you wish
to have numbered:

1. Press ALT I, U, when the program will create a footer
where
you can insert a page number. By default the page header is
at
the bottom of each page but you can ARROW up two or three
times
to put it at the top or press T (for top) or B (for bottom).

2. You can then TAB to the next listbox, called "Alignment",
and
arrow up or down to align the page numbers left, right or
centre
or press L, C or R, and you can choose inside or outside for
opposite pages.

3. You can TAB once more and then choose not to have the
first
page numbered by checking this off with the SPACEBAR, so
that
numbering starts with number 2 on the second page.

4. If you TAB again and press ENTER on the "Format" button,
you
can:

A. ARROW down and choose the type of numbers used, e.g.
standard
Arabic numbers (the default), small or capital letters or
small
or large Romans. You can also get to these different
numbering
systems by pressing such as 1, a and i to select them.

B. In this sub-dialogue box, you can also TAB to and press
SPACEBAR to have the chapter number shown with the page
number.

C. If you TAB to an editfield called "Start At" you can type
in
the number of what you want the first page to be numbered
as,
e.g. 31, to have pages begin to be numbered from a point
other
than page 1 or 2.

5. Then TAB to two successive "OK" buttons and press ENTER
on
each.

6. The only way you can view the page numbers is via the
View
menu by pressing ALT V, H. When finished viewing, press ALT
V,
H, again to return things to normal.

                           ********

HTH,