[access-uk] Re: OCR on Iphones

  • From: Ian Macrae <ian.macrae@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 12:06:21 +0000

KNFB reader allows you a high degree of control over things like reading speed.
It also give you information on the position of documents in relation to the
camera etc. Additionally you can save scanned material and also create multi
page documents. I’ve used other cheaper OCR apps and KNFB outdoes them all.
It periodically is offered at a reduced price so it’s worth waiting for this to
happen.
On 20 Aug 2015, at 12:43, CJ &AA MAY
<chrisalismay@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:chrisalismay@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

I’ve been intending to purchase KNFB OCR (sorry, I’m sure I’ve got the initials
round the wrong way). But this is about £70. I’ve just read this. Is it any
good? Has anyone else tried it? How does it compare with the paid OCR apps?
It’s an OCR app that is free and is Voiceover friendly
It’s called Voice – Take Pictures on your device & Have Them Read/Spoken with
Fast OCR by Shalin Shah
Take a picture of anything that has words on it, and Voice will read it to you!
Designed for iOS 8, this simple and easy to use interface will let you listen

People with visual impairment or dyslexia can easily snap a photo of anything
and have it read in a matter of seconds. Whether it is a menu at a restaurant,
a medicine label, and expiry date on a milk carton, or even an information
board at a museum.
Download it onto your device from the app store:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/voice-take-picture-have-it/id903772588?mt=8

Alison