[access-uk] Re: Nokia Asha 300

  • From: Saqib <saqibh23@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 09:02:58 +0100

Hi. It's best to stay away from that phone as it's not supported by Talks or Mobile Speak. Why invest in a device that isn't even accessible to you? Surely an iPhone is much better as you can use apps on there that are designed for blind people that will give you more independence such as recognising food packaging and getting out and knowing what's around you? If you don't like touch screens then you can always use dictation or a Bluetooth keyboard. The RNIB do sell a speech phone and this phone is a slide out keyboard phone. It will let you make calls and send and receive text messages.

-----Original Message----- From: Mike Higgins
Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2013 11:11 AM
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] Nokia Asha 300

Dear All,

I have today been offered this free brand new handset on the EE Network,
which is the same network I use at present.  At the moment I use Talks on a
C5 .

I am, I confess, not keen as a totally blind person on the touch screen
approach.  The Asha 300 does have a keypad but I don't know if either Talks
or another voice synthesiser can be made to run on it,.  Neither do I know
if the functionality of the handset can all be used via the tactile keypad.

Before leaping into the unknown and exchanging my C5 standard sym for a
micro-sym (used by the Asha 300) I want to know if it is likely to be
possible to make the phone produce speech and whether I can use the keypad
to enter text, access menus etc.  Can anyone advise me please?

Many thanks and best wishes,

Mike Higgins,
Email: m.j.higgins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Address: 1 Portland Court, Sheffield, S6 3EW, UK.
Tel: +44 (0) 114 2258676
Fax: + 44 (0) 704 308 3328
Mobile: +44 (0) 7956 856060
Skype: mikehiggins63