[access-uk] New Hp Laptop

  • From: "Eleanor Burke" <eleanorburke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 21:38:44 +0100

I have a new Hp laptop running Windows 7.  The keyboard is not a full one and
there is a Fn key.  Irritatingly so, the tab key is not in its usual line but
is one to the right.  If I press what I thought was tab then I get Windows Live
Mail opening.  I find that for example if I want to close a window with Alt+F4
I also have to press Fn key.  This is a little tedious to say the least!  I can
live with it if I must but I am wondering if perhaps there is a way of fixing
it so that I do not have to press that Fn key everytime I want say a Function
key combination or a Function key on its own.  Those of you with a mobile phone
with a qwerty keypad for example will be aware of a Fn key.  This Fn key if
pressed twice will say allow the writing of numbers.  Pressed again and one
goes back to alphabetic.  I am wondering if it might be similar on the laptop.
I am certainly having problems when I tab around as I am not finding edit boxes
to input text.  Obviously can suss this when I have a sighted person around but
any ideas much appreciated from all you experts.  Many thanks.

Eleanor