[access-uk] Re: N120 Recovery partition question

  • From: "Ibrahim Gucukoglu" <ibrahim_gucukoglu@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 16:42:33 +0100

Hi Orhan.

OK, there are two reasons why Samsung no longer issue recovery cd's.  Firstly,
when they issued CD's with their older netbooks like the NC10, they were OEM
preconfigured which basically means that they were fully activated products
with their own license keys.  Of course, copies of these recovery media would
start popping up all over the net on illegal download websites and because
these cd's didn't perform hardware checks or come customised enough to the
specific hardware of the machines they were intended for, all and sundry would
download them for different makes of machine.  Therefore, Microsoft asked
Samsung to no longer ship recovery disks with their machines, instead they
created or rather updated their recovery solution software to burn recovery
media.  When you get a Samsung machine such as a netbook, there is no recovery
partition on the machine by default.  The recovery partition is made during the
initial setup of the recovery software, its one of the first things that comes
up after you've entered the details to set up windows.  A snapshot of the hard
drive would be taken and that is what you would be expected to burn to a dvd.
There is no way to get a copy of XP for these machines which you can reinstall
from a cd directly through Samsung, however there is a product key label on the
back side of the netbook, so if you have access to an XP home disk, you'd be
easily able to reinstall it if your hard drive were wiped.  Samsung do give you
a software media disk to reinstall drivers and utilities, so even if you
upgraded to something like XP profession which I did on my machine, you'd
easily be able to reinstall the drivers and utilities to get your netbook fully
functional.

I hope this explanation answers your questions.