[access-uk] My Accident

  • From: "Barry Toner" <barry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 16:36:42 -0000

Hi all,

I realized the below was just sent to Peter and as I feel allot of you on
the list could benefit from my experience and what actually happened to me I
paste it here.

We are straying off the I T side of things but I felt I learnt allot of hard
lessons about safety when outside.

Hi peter,

Well mine, (as red faced as I am to admit it), was my own fault.

I was tired and stressed out from yet another unproductive day volunteering
at a local charities IT Suite.

I headed up to an unmanned station in Belfast to get the train home.  I
thought I was standing at a funny angle, and had my toes at the start of the
blistered warning pavement near the platforms edge.

I made two mistakes.

1.  I attempted to get the dog to perform a  front and left turn.
Something I know you should never do especially when at edges or in areas
where the danger is high risk.  You should always perform a back-left turn
unless you are on an up-kirb and are turning left down the street.

2.  Moved before the dog did.
I gave the left, she didn't move, I gave a forward she didn't move but I
did.

So I toppled off a 6ft platform onto my side.  I fractured m left elbow, and
tore muscles in my left thigh and up around the groin.

My Netbook, keys, phone, money went flying all over the tracks.

I blacked out for a few seconds, (probably because of shock and pain), then
remember hopping up onto my feet walking forward and reaching up.  I grabbed
the edge of the platform and hauld myself almost all the way up with both
arms.  My dog Bliss was looking down at me and evidently wondering what I
was up to and pleased to see me get up licks me in the face.  I lost my grip
and fell back down.  I bounced straight back up and got myself back up onto
the platform.  Not a single person but me and my dog at the station and I
start yelling for help at the top of my lungs .  I still wasn?t' feeling any
pain at this stage because the adrenalin was pumping through my system.

Not a single person turns up and at best guess about 45secs later the train
I was waiting on comes in.  I start banging on the side of it and wailing
"help" "help", of all things, "my stuffs on the track my stuff's on the
track!"

A lady gets off the train who turne dout to be a passenger, she got the
conductor who got the driver to back the train up.  He hops down grabs all
my stuff, (which amazingly we found out later wasn?t' damaged in the
slightest)!

I was then helped onto the train, because at this point whilst I still
wasn't feeling any pain I noticed I couldn't move my left leg too well.  An
Ambulence was phoned to meet us at Lisburn train station, (which ironically
is where I live).

I still filled with adrenalin and under considerable shock, really thought
this was all O T T.  So I was stretchered off the train, caused at least a
30minute delay to the provinces train services and something my girlfriend
was quite (jokingly), proud off a platform change at our local station.

5 1/2hours later I was being sent home from Casualty with my dad, needing to
be supported as I couldn?t' move my leg, and my left arm was in a  cast.

I'd never fractured/broken anything in my life before.

My girlfriend was fantastic!  Setting our front room up like a lounge,
bringing my meals upstairs, helping me get into bed at night, washed/changed
in the mornings, forbidding me to even attempt to go downstairs for the
first week.

I lay this all out so that others know as accidents can happen, it's vital,
vital!  No matter how distracted you are, pay attention to your surroundings
and/or if you're not sure stop and ask someone.  If no one is there wait or
carry a cain, (if you have a dog and want to check the surrounding area).
Most of all if you do have a dog for god sake trust it.  They're not
perfect, (none of us are), but they stand a greater chance of not letting
you get hurt if you take your time and trust them.

Peter, I was in a train station last week for the first and I did notice I
was allot more cautious.  I'm hoping to get my dog back tomorrow so that'll
help, but I guess for me because I was totally at blame and I was the first
person to say it it's much easier for me to correct the problems.  If it was
my dogs fault then it would be a whole other kettle of fish, but under this
circumstance I can correct the errors I made.
Be careful out there folks and don't rush! Better to be ten minutes late
than hurt, or worse.

Barry.