[access-uk] Re: Memory management in XP

  • From: "Vince Thacker" <vince@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 23:59:30 +0100

384MB does seem a bit on the low side for the current generation of software, especially if you run accessibility software. Having said that I did run most things, including Windows XP, in 64MB until a couple of months ago. I know that's pushing it, but most things worked most of the time - well, you know what computers are like.

The 512MB I've got now seems to cope with most eventualities for the time being. But the extended RAM is only one side of the story - the new P C also has a faster hard disk, and plenty of it, faster U S B ports, and so on. More horse-power all round.

Another list member said something about making your virtual memory one and a half times the amount of your chip memory, which I daresay is a sensible ide if you ahve enough hard disc space spare. But then again, disc access is slower than chip ram access, and so the debate goes on - in the end you really have to try it and see if it works.

At least memory upgrades are cheap these days! I paid fortunes in the 80s for a few kilobytes on a chip.

Vince.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Cassidy" <mike.cassidy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>