[access-uk] Re: Mac OSx Tiger, Voice Over.

  • From: Joe Paton <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 22:00:01 +0100

Hello,
As far as I know, there are no quick nav keys for VO in the apple browser.

I don't know which TTS is used, possibly a preprietrry from apple. There are some alternative voices from sepstrel, incorrect spelling possibly, but their stability with other apps and vo, may be in question judging from comments on the vo list.

Hopefully you'll get a better informed response from some one else here.

cheers,

Joe

At 15:43 19/09/2005, you wrote:
Afternoon,

I recall a discussion not long ago on one or other of these lists about the Voice Over screen reader on the Mac. Apologies to which ever list it wasn't on. *Smile.

   Could anyone help with the following questions?

1. Does Voice Over support quick navigation keys on web pages?

For example, Jaws and Window Eyes both use the l key to move to the next list on a page, or Shift l to move to the previous list on the page.

Jaws also uses g and shift g to move between graphics, p and shift p to move between paragraphs and t and shift t to move between tables.

2. What Text to Speech (TTS) engine does Voice Over use?

I've been trawling the Apple web site, but don't seem to be able to find much information apart from the basic marketing blurb.

If anyone could let me know where I can find more substantial information on Voice Over, or if anyone has the manual they can let me have electronically, I'd be most grateful.

   As always, thanks for any help.

Tink.
--
http://www.tink.co.uk/