[access-uk] Re: Language translation

  • From: Chipmunks <chipmunks@xxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 12:17:35 +0200

Andy, I am bilingual and have seen the results of automated translations. As I said, if you just want to get an idea about the contents of a document, a translation program might help you but it will never give you a rendition that comes even close to the original you are translating.

As for accuracy of scanned material, you will always have a few errors regardless of what language the text to be scanned and ocr-ed is in. However, if you take a program that is designed to scan texts in different languages and allows you to choose the recognition language such as FineReader, you will get fairly good results. In my opinion, if you want to run a text thru a translation program, the problem will not be the accuracy of the scan primarily (as long as you set your ocr program to use the appropriate recognition language) but rather the translation software.

I scan books in both German and English and find that I can throw almost anything at Finereader and get very acceptable results that need only a minimum of editing - or if i just want them for my own reading pleasure, don't really require any editing.

so if you have a scanner available and an state-of-the-art ocr package that is equipped to recognize foreign language texts, then just run your book thru ocr. You can always download a free demo of Finereader from

www.abbyy.com

the trial version is good for 14 days after installation of the program, which should be plenty of time to scan and recognize the book.

Good luck and have fun!

Doris

At 10:38 AM 10/24/2005 +0100, you wrote:
Doris - I believe German to English gets quite good results. However, somebody told us that scanned material won't work with translation programmes, and that it has to be typed in, and I'm not sure if this information is correct.

Andy
----- Original Message ----- From: "Chipmunks" <chipmunks@xxxxxxx>