[access-uk] Google takes on your desktop

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 14:57:46 +0100

Ironically, the one address Peter Pogue does not give in his
article is for Google's Desktop Search, which is
http://desktop.google.com/ and is a fairly simple 447k
download of an executable program.

I installed this myself a week or so ago, and yesterday
found myself having to use it in anger, so to speak, to find
a particular technical e-mail message among over 26,000
mails.

Installation is fairly straightforward and once installed
the front end looks just like Google's search engine.  Just
take time and care when any questions are asked.

They say it takes many hours to perform a general index of
your system, and explains that Outlook must be open in order
for it to Index e-mails.  I just left my system running with
Outlook open overnight.

However, once you start using it, it's just like using
Google (http://www.google.com or http://www.google.co.uk)
but the speed at which is works is quite unbelievable.

I'm not overly keen on some third party software poking
around my system, but this is definitely an exception that
will be a great help to me.

George.

=0AThis Message has been scanned for viruses by McAfee Groupshield.