[access-uk] Google hangouts for windows update

  • From: <vanja@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 16:08:24 +0100

Hello,

It seems like a new update was pushed to google hangouts for windows client.
I'm not sure when this update was pushed as I haven't used it for a few
weeks, but having used it last night for the first time it was working fine.
However when I rebooted my PC this morning, there seems to be differences.
First of all there is now an iditional entry to the system tray called
'chrome notifications' which also tells you how many "unread notifications"
you have. When one right clicks on it, one can only change the status and if
it is double clicked it just loses focus, however the unread count goes
away.

In adition to this, the hangouts client/extention itself seem now totally
unusable with jaws or NVDA. I know that it wasn't 100 % perfect, but it was
certainly usable with jaws 14/15 and realtively OK with NVDA. However now
when the client is launched nothing can be seen. Neither screenreader can
interact with it whether using traditional methods or mouse cursors. So, has
anyone else tried the client recently and are you getting the same results?

Again, I know even the previous version wasn't perfect and there were a few
minor bugs/inconveniences like the edit box for the text input would
occasionally lose focus, but it was certainly usable, especially with jaws
15.