[access-uk] FW: [RPLIST] IPhone Apps

  • From: "Ankers, Dave (UK)" <Dave.Ankers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 07:36:34 -0000

This might be of interest to those who are deaf, blind regarding use of
I phones and Macs

Cheers

Dave

From the RP list:

I forgot to mention about the wireless bluetooth keyboard that works
with any apple product as far as I know. It is a great way to use the
iPhone without  the touchpad. It is portable, as in it will fit in a
folder, large woman's purse  or a tote bag of some sort, but it is not
pocket sized. It's handy as all get  out though. I used it with a friend
who has the iPhone 4 and the wireless  bluetooth Refreshabraille
keyboard and we were able to communicate quite well  with each other -
she was deaf-blind and I don't know sign language (yet).

I carry my keyboard with me everywhere and use if often to type into my
iPhone, since a standard keyboard is what I (all of us!?!) am used to
entering  data with.

On this list, we are at various stages of vision loss and some have
hearing  loss also. I am able to use my Phonak Naida V hearing aids with
the iPhone VERY  well! I can have my iPhone clipped to my waistband and
enjoy the music, etc.  while walking. It's more a matter of learning
what's available, and  unfortunately, of being able to afford, some of
the technology that enables us  to use this device and others. The
Refreshable braille keyboard I just mentioned  is about $1600, from APH
if I remember right. For those of you with no hearing  loss, you won't
need to get this, probably, because you can listen to the phone.
However, anyone who knows braille, or is willing to learn it, can use
the  Refreshabraille (or any other brand) wireless bluetooth keyboard to
enter data  in braille, as well as read the info on the phone.

Apple is indeed working hard to make their products accessible, so kudos
to  them! It's about time accessibility came built-in. Over time, I've
little doubt  it will get better - lots better, especially as the
processing power and memory  in all this technology is finally strong
enough to accommodate what we need from  it.

This all applies to the other devices by Apple also, including the Macs.
So  we are finally getting to a point where a few devices (or cheap apps
only
-  depending on your disability level) will let us access everything we
have
-  IF it's all Apple. Make no mistake, most hardware out there for the
blind is  Windows compatible only, like JAWS, for example, so there are
decisions to be  made and trade-offs, of course. So no
one-size-fits-all-answer.

I'm banking on Apple myself - it's just so much simpler once learned
and works across the board. I'm personally quite tired of paying for
expensive software and hardware for the PC, only to have to replace it
or upgrade it at  such hefty prices. I'm also tired of the learning
curve with so many devices.  I'd rather learn the touch technology since
it's clearly the public trend, than  learn JAWS and the other stuff.
Having everything as accessible, simply  designed apps on all my devices
is how I hope the trend goes. In the long  run, the price will be
phenomenally less if Apple really does get completely on  track with
accessibility and I'm all for that.

Only time will tell, as with all inventions...

Kim