[access-uk] Re: Echo now reading Kindle Books

  • From: David Griffith <daj.griffith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2017 15:20:25 +0000

I am not entirely sure but I suspect that this has to do with the rights management of the book.

There is or certainly used to be a property in the Kindle Book which indicated whether it wasText to Speech enabled or not. Whether this was the case was determined by the publisher, normally if they wanted to preserve Audio Book sales for the book I believe.

This TTS restriction was over ridden by the Accessibility support for Kindle built into iOS Android or the PC App with Accessibility Plugin VI users could use Voiceover or Talkback to access the book or use the Accessibility plugin TTS support. This was a small victory for accessibility so a Book like Bad Science, which was not formally Text to Speech enabled could still be read on devices with TTS with Accessibility Support.

However as the Echo is not formally an Accessibility supported product using Voiceover or Talkback but remains firmly in the mainstream I suspect that the original TTS restrictions on certain books may well still apply on the Echo. There is no way of the Echo recognising that you are a VI user.

David Griffith

On 09/03/2017 08:23, Ian Macrae (Redacted sender ian.macrae1 for DMARC) wrote:

I’ve just tried this David and Alexa told me that my most recently purchased
book is not supported for reading. /she directed me to go to the app to find
out which books were available. I wonder what determines whether a book can be
read?
Ian Macrae

ian.macrae1@xxxxxxx

On 8 Mar 2017, at 22:25, David Griffith <daj.griffith@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This may be old news but tonight I discovered that my Echo would read m my
latest books  from my Kindle library.

I simply said Echo Read my Kindle book.

David Griffith

** To leave the list, click on the immediately-following link:-
** [mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=unsubscribe]
** If this link doesn't work then send a message to:
** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
** and in the Subject line type
** unsubscribe
** For other list commands such as vacation mode, click on the
** immediately-following link:-
** [mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq]
** or send a message, to
** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:- faq