[access-uk] Re: Ebook source/software please?

  • From: David Griffith <daj.griffith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2017 18:53:45 +0000

I think your options then are pretty much with Kindle iBooks or Kobo.

As you probably know these are DRM copy protected options whith all the problems that this entails but Kindle is accessible on both iOS and Android and there is apparently exciting new developments with NVDA support in its new Release Candidate version for the latest version of the Kindle PC app which allows proper screenreader review of the text.

If you Google you should find links to both the NVDA Release Candidate and the new Kindle PC app which

allegedly work better together than any screenreader combination has done before.

Several people on list are now using Kindle Fire to both purchase and read Kindle Books.

Kobo is accessible on iOS but I find I can only read a chapter at a time before having to start read all or Speak screen again. I find this annoying in books with short chapters.

iBooks works very well with speak screen on iOS but the books tend to be more expensive than other sources I find.

Despite trying all these solutions except Kindle Fire and the latest NVDA Kindle app combo I still tend to play Kindle books for convenient reading by simply leaving the Kindle PC App reading the book overnight and recording the output with Total Recorder. You can turn the volume right down which does not affect recording volume. I then auto-split the resulting mp3 file into 20 minute segments with mp3Directcut, boost the default max volume level with mp3gain for my deaf ears and then simply copy the resulting Mp3 files to play as an audio book on eitehr my Plextalk or Victor Reader stream.

Despite the fact this obviously takes time I am asleep upstairs for 99% of the process so I don't really mind.

I like the ability then to navigate and bookmark the book easily by heading, 30 seconds etc with one button accessibility. This is great for when you are doing housework, washing up etc. The voice is OK and is easily manipulated for extra speed or tone change etc on these devices.

What I tend to do if it is a book I am to read more than once is book mark the beginning of chapters as I come across them.

Not a solution that others may like but it works well for me.

I have tried a variety of programs which claim to solve the Kindle DRM Problem but none of them work for me.

David Griffith

On 15/02/2017 17:40, David Mellor wrote:

Thanks David.
It would mainly be books on health, in particular natural/alternative
medicine.
David

   _____