[access-uk] Re: Dyslexia

  • From: "Graham Page" <gpage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 17:45:44 +0100

joan, read some stuff about dyslexia and according to modern psychological
thinking on the subject the answer is quite clearly yes.

One of the problems that dyslexic people tend to encounter is poor short
term memory and poor processing speed.  I have assessed 2 blind people who
have been diagnosed as dyslexic and a number of others that I suspect would
have been found to be dyslexic if they had been tested.

Often, having text read out by a speech synthesiser is helpful for sighted
people as they can have an extra way of having text presented to them and
this feature, present in screenreaders anyway, may be helpful for blind
people.  Writing can often be difficult for someone with dyslexia.  The
effort of remembering to spell properly makes it harder to write properly
and this can lead to poor grammar and sentence construction.  A product like
J-say from T and T consultincy or the lower cost solution allowing some
speech recognition using Vista may be worth consideration.

Strategy training may also be helpful though a strategy trainer experienced
in working with visually impaired or blind people may be of help here. does
anyone know of anyone with that experience?

regards

Graham
Graham Page
Home Phone: 0207 265 9493