[access-uk] Re: Do I need Java?

  • From: Jonathan H <digitaltoast@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2014 12:09:52 +0100

I think the best route would be as follows:

Run the java uninstaller from this page:
http://www.java.com/en/download/uninstallapplet.jsp

Then download and install the latest Java 7 update 55 from this page:
http://www.java.com/inc/BrowserRedirect1.jsp?locale=en

Then download LibreOffice - it's like OpenOffice and completely
compatible, but much updated:
http://www.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-fresh/

Yes, you definitely still need Java:
https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/Accessibility_in

That page says:

"Please note that accessibility support relies on Java technology for
communications with assistive technology tools. This means that the
first program startup may take a few seconds longer, because the Java
runtime environment has to be started as well."

Hope this helps!