[access-uk] Disabled People March against Government Cuts

  • From: "Derek Hornby" <Derek.hornby_uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 20:21:42 -0000

For more information  please contact:
The RNIB Campaigns Team on 020 7391 2123
or visit RNIB's website www.rnib.org.uk
 from  RNIB Campaigns Team

Disabled People March against Government Cuts

Disabled People March against Government Cuts.  The Hardest Hit,
defending disabled people's futures

You may have heard that RNIB, along with over 40 other organisations and
groups of disabled people are organising a March, a Lobby of Parliament
and a Rally on the 11th May to voice anger and concern at the cuts
threatening benefits, services, jobs and rights.  We are trying to
spread the message far and wide and apologise if you have already
received an email about this event.

The March
Thousands of disabled people as well as family and friends will be
marching to express solidarity and anger at the cuts threatening our
benefits, services, jobs and rights. The march will take us past the
Houses of Parliament and we will make sure that MPs and Peers hear our
collective voice and understand our message.

The Lobby
After the march many of us will be lobbying our MPs as the Welfare
Reform Bill reaches a critical stage in the House of Commons. We will be
sharing our stories, making sure that Parliamentarians understand the
combined impact of the cuts on our lives and futures. Crucially, we will
be challenging MPs to vote against policies that will push us further
into poverty and isolation.

The Rally
On the afternoon of the march we will meet in Methodist Central Hall to
hear from disabled people about the deep unfairness of the cuts for
their lives and futures. We will also listen to politicians from the
main political parties to find out how they plan to uphold the rights,
equality and participation of disabled people as promised in the UN
Convention on the Rights of People with Disabilities.

Where and When
We will gather for the march from 11.30 on the Embankment by Horseguards
Avenue. It will start at 12.30 and take in Victoria Embankment, Bridge
Street, Parliament Square, Millbank and finish in Dean Stanley Street at
around 13.30. We expect the lobby to take place in Westminster Hall and
to run between 14.30 and 17.30. Everyone hoping to see their MP during
the afternoon is encouraged to write in advance to get an appointment.
You are more likely to get to see your MP if you do this.  The rally
will take place in Methodist Central Hall (close to the Houses of
Parliament) with speeches between 15.00 and 15.30.

Unfortunately RNIB won't be able to financially support as many people
to come on the 11th May as we'd like or as we did for the DLA Lobbies.
We've already had a large number of calls and emails and at the moment
we are taking people's contact details to draw up a list of people who
are interested.   If you are interested in coming please contact the
Campaigns Hotline on 020 7391 2123 to find out more.  We are working
through the arrangements and will get back to people who have expressed
an interest by the 11th April if we can support them.  This will be on a
first come first served basis.

If you are keen to come on the 11th and plan to make your own way to
London there will be support available on the day in the form of guides
and stewards.   You will also need to register to say that you are
coming.

All organisations involved in the Hardest Hit March, Lobby of Parliament
and Rally are asking anyone interested in coming along to register via
the UK Disabled People's Council  website (www.ukdpc.net) or the DBC's
campaigns website www.hardesthit.org.uk)  This tells us that you are
planning to come, ensures that you receive updates on arrangements for
the day and that any support or access requirements that you have are
catered for.  This will be up and running from Weds 23rd March.

For more information please contact the Campaigns Team on 020 7391 2123
or visit RNIB's website www.rnib.org.uk

Best Wishes

The Campaigns Team.